Why do I need it?
The Narrative Story Retell database includes story retell samples elicited from students in preschool through 6th grade using these materials. Samples elicited using the same protocol may be compared to age or grade-matched peers selected from this database. Comprehension questions, modeled on Bloom's Taxonomy, are included for each of the stories.
What is included?
- One copy of Frog, Where Are You? (Mercer Mayer, 1969) for preschool through 1st grade
- Two copies of Pookins Gets Her Way (Helen Lester, 1987) for 2nd grade
- Two copies of A Porcupine Named Fluffy (Helen Lester, 1986) for 3rd grade
- Two copies of Doctor DeSoto (William Steig, 1982) for 4th - 6th grade
- Laminated database description and elicitation protocol
- Laminated story script for Frog, Where Are You?
- Laminated comprehension questions for each story
- Four 25-sheet pads for scoring the comprehension questions, one for each story
Why are there two copies of most of the books?
The first book, Frog, Where Are You?, is a wordless picture book used both for providing the model and prompting for the student's narrative retell. The other three books contain words. One copy is used to read the story to the student. The other copy, which comes with all the words neatly covered, is used to prompt for the student's retell.